Friday, January 25, 2019

It's Not an Actual Book, Why Do We Still Turn the Page?

Right now I'm reading "The Calculating Stars" by Mary Robinette Kowal on Kindle. It's good so far. It's alternate history where a meteorite hits Earth and decimates the Eastern Seaboard. The main character is trying to become a Lady Astronaut because colonies in space need women. The species won't survive with just men, somehow they forget all that.

Anywho, the story isn't the only reason why the book is cool. It's equipped with the 'Continuous Scrolling' feature. I didn't think something so mundane sounding would be so exciting, but it's the coolest! I read an article some years back (OMG, I said 'some years back') that talked about the fact that with new technology, we don't need to continue to do things the old way. I don't remember what the article was but if anyone remembers I'll update this. I think the example they gave was calendars. But it's true about books too. Why should we be turning pages still? It's not a physical book. It doesn't actually have pages in the same sense. We don't read other documents like that unless we print them. It wasn't until I experienced a book with continuous scrolling that I realized how turning the page was annoying. It doesn't help that page turning on the Kobo app is still a little wonky. They may not even have to fix it if they started continuous scrolling. 

Well, it's almost midnight, I should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment